Thursday, June 27, 2013

Repair work day

So this morning, I went around trying to send everything for repair and purchasing of some final backdrop needed for the home studio.

Repair list at service centre, in Chinatown area.
1. D2X - Ex-boss's one.

2. D90 High shutter count - $130

Got quoted the following for the maintenance of some equipments, decided I am too "poor" to go for such levels as of now...

1. Repair of 17-55mm f2.8 lens, recommended changing of barrel instead of cleaning... $800+

2. A spec of shiny dust in 70-200mm f2.8... General cleaning to remove it was $300.

Anyway, got to thank my friend who works in Nikon for lowering down the price for me at least for the initial quotation. Definitely saved some lunch money for the next 1/2 a month.

And the repairs under warranty, in City Hall area.

1. D600 focusing issue, lucky discovered within warranty, now I hope they don't brush it off and said it's my problem that this happened. Most companies state small things in fine prints.

2. The $700 tripod - So it appears to be overly tighten, since day 1. Initially salesperson told me that it comes with a 10 years warranty. Now that I sent it back, he said that the "parts" inside may not be covered if found to be "my" damage. Warranty doesn't means much nowadays I realised.

Bought 4 backdrop, a total of $500 more to the equipment list.

So setting up the home studio, easily $5k.  Not forgetting the monthly/yearly maintenance cost for the lighting, cameras and lens (for wear), backdrop (disposable once dirtied from use), and electricity bills. No wonder business fail so easily in Singapore... and I am glad I had a space in my own living room, reducing the cost of failing to a huge extend already.

Imagine $3-5k rental monthly.. Earning this amount may already be a dream for some,  at least now I have the option to pay $1-2k rental to my parents to settle the ongoing HDB bank loans, if I succeed in generating income.

But still, am glad to have their support after 2 years of perseverance.



Hey Jiahe.. didn't expect your life to turn out this way bah~
As far as I can remember, the dream list was like this.

Primary school, I wanted to be a scientist. Wanted to invent lots and lots of useful things.

Secondary school, I guess the dream was about the same. Although I heard that there's no scientist in Singapore. But at least, I was really interested in Chemistry, and how other things worked.

JC, I wanted to be a Chemical Engineer. Chemical + invent things (if that's what I thought to be initially)

University, I guess I wasn't smart enough. But lucky that I ended up as a Mechanical Engineer.

I guess, it's after 2 decades of life on Earth that I realise; my dreams haven't changed one bit. All my "dreams", is telling me that I am someone who gets happy through seeing people happy, by making things work.

And now....
I shall make my "business" work.

:)

No comments: