Thursday, January 31, 2013

Wednesday flew passed, not a photo processed

So the morning was shooting photos for a funeral possession, but I no longer feel affected by the negative emotions... I see it as a chance to help the family preserve their memories, of the people who got here, and those who are going to miss the person who just passed away.

It was from 9-2pm, and I had to wake up 2 hours earlier, 45 mins to get ready, 1hr 30 mins to travel from Seng Kang to Marine Parade.

After that, 3-5pm, I went to collect the Epson gift pack at Pasir Panjang.
When I reach home at 6pm, I was so dead tired from all the running. Photography and videography by itself is a manual labour hmm... Bath and went to sleep. A planned 45 mins nap, but ended up resting more since i feel so tired, and the clock went passed 2 hour more. So I nap 2 hr 45 mins.

9pm, wake up, wash up a little, had dinner, it was 10pm.

received a email with a new logo for the instant print, updated it, time was 11pm.
Time to edit photos? Not yet.... end up trying to improve the workflow for instant print for Lightroom. It was not easy trying to figure out. Ended up searching online, found a youtube video, 22 mins. Learn from there, tweak here, test a bit there. Learnt a lot, but still some things cannot be done...

So it's 2.25 am in the morning now, with instant print almost ready, but yet to test... the testing is going to take another 1/2 a day I guess... cos I will need to try to figure out the simpliest workflow for 1 man to operate the prints for 2 printers... while the following are things that are done (just now) and those that are to be solved too...  the more I learn, the more problems that I discover :(

Done
- Photo numbers are now showing on the bottom, with a white border by the sides. The initial problem is that the white border created below, make it all looked weird. (I guess this took like 30 mins to fiddle, from the repeated testing and all.. maybe it took more time too, and I don't know about it since time always flies....)

- Learnt that white border can only be on photos with more than 1 photo per print. But border can't be on that 4R print, maybe on the printer settings only? (don't know if setting it to print "Border" will do it, but I can't control how thick it's going to be... and with multiple photos in 1, photo number can't be set by default.

_________________________________

-update at 3am-
yes this can be done via "single image/contact sheet, got to explore a bit more, but basically the size of each photo is standard, so only similar size photos can be place together, showing the photo numbers below. Have to check if it's pleasing to the eye, if not, no point using this... maybe have to separately use a paper to write the number and pass it to them? Doesn't looks good, so might as well just print 1 photo, with the numbers below
_________________________________

~continue


- a template of 5 photos on one 4R prints. But problem with the watermark... only when it's set to "below" the photos, the photos can be added. When it's above, the photos can't be "dragged and dropped"... that means for each photo, have to set the watermark (identity plate to be more exact) to render behind every page, add the photos, then set to checkbox off again. But the problem is... I don't know how to save the layout by each photos, so below are the things to be continued in the next 2 days.....

To be done... :(
- Tracking system to know what photos are printed....
- saving down the template of each printed photo...
- easier way to print, say 5 photos of the same picture, and yet also able to track the prints.
- easier way to edit the photos before sending for prints (besides the shortcut key of "Alt + Ctrl + 2" and "Ctrl + P"... a way is to set it to set a preset colour adjustments to the photos received in a certain particular folder, but there's still no simpler way beside switching between these 2 tabs... the only way now is to have very good control of the DSLR, right after shooting, it's perfect for prints.
- a link with password, either on the photo, or separated from the photo, to be given to each individual guest with prints... should I give namecard with the link, or print a separate sheet? Any ways to simplify the work process? There's a problem in itself for each way too... name card will be standard, but the customised links won't be... so my "worker" writes it? (300 times for 300 guest!?) or let the guest writes it themselves (not very nice la..) or printing the links each time there's a event (cost manpower and paper, ink cost too).

Finally I decided that I may be able to use a QR code, with my contacts and the links with password under details, so those people who have smartphone can save it down. This way, save paper, and those who are still not as high tech? They can choose to get the namecard, turn behind, and write the last part of details in themselves.

Seriously hate the fact that I am the boss, and I have no other senior to consult... have to keep struggling and trying out everything on my own. But of course, if it's successful, there's some sense of accomplishment.. but I hope I can really have some technology guy beside who can help me with this easily, and I just do what I am good at (planning and shooting). Computer, programming stuff really gives me headache..

time go eat supper in the kitchen and sleep.. it's 2.41am now after finish typing all these... tmr then continue doing work, hope nothing new pops out.


this simple looking design just unexpectedly took 3 days to figure out the workflow. with the first 4 hours for designing the template (I am quite slow with this kind of things), and the rest of the times trying to figure out Lightroom "Print" function. Just a side note, the "Print" function have already took quite some time previously before I accepted this assignment, cos I know this should be able to work. Trying to figure out softwares with multiple functions really kills braincells... but at least I still managed to figure something out on my own...

Haiz tiredz....

No comments: